make a Referral
How? (With the
- Attempt to develop a trusting
relationship with students and get to know them. If a student tends
to withdraw from you when discussions are always
"serious", build trust through frequent, informal contacts
that are less intense.
- In a non-threatening way, try to
understand why they are resistant to counseling. If notion is
that counseling is for "nut cases" then
- point out use for growth,
- self-disclose, if appropriate
- normalize, i.e., emphasize that
these services are meant for all DePaul students because
everyone goes through some difficult time in college;
- disconfirm any fears that it
will decrease contacts with you.
- Don't force the idea of counseling
prematurely. This may jeopardize your relationship with
students or make them feel you're rejecting or stigmatizing
them--this will only increase resistance.
- After referral, check in with the
student in a non-intrusive way--stay in touch--don't abandon the